Friday, August 1, 2008

Racism

Maybe at first this subject is one for my soap box; but not so! We had a little game in Tanzania!
Racism is a sorry, sad thing but it has been in existence for as long as man has trod this Earth. I guess broadly without racism, there would have been fewer wars.
It's not for me to judge if I am racist or not but by commenting about my experiences, some may see new light. I am of European extraction living in New Zealand and consider myself a New Zealander. My skin is what is called 'white', but I remember my art teacher helping me mix a colour that is approximately mine. We agreed the colour to start with was yellow!
The indigenous people of New Zealand are Maori; some would dispute the term because they too travelled here rather than being a seed that grew here. Such debated can go on and on but is not what I am about.
Every race has is different, and within each race there are tribes and conflict between tribes may arise through racism - viz Rwanda. And there are complications like the Crusades, where religion was the flux, but racism the reason.
But that's not what I'm on about either!
Scientists have tested DNA and found that we all come from the one mother! I guess that is had to believe for some, but it is very interesting. And for racists, a good lesson - but anyway they are unlikely to believe it. As a layman, I don't have any way of knowing if this true or a scientist theory yet to proved!
Well let me tell you about a game my wife and I played on our travels.
We called it Match the Person. I once saw a movie in Greymouth where some indigenous warrior looked exactly like my friend Mick! Not only in looks, but in habit as well.
In the boredom of sitting in various airports, we looked at people and thought they looked like people we knew at home. They looked alike even though they were of a different race! The only difference was their colour! So, one of us would spot someone and whisper the persons name for the other to locate. There were a lot of people who looked like folk we know.
We expanded this in Tanzania because we came to know people who were carbon copies of people back home - except for colour and other minor differences.
But it was not only looks - Malakai was just like Hughey in habit and personality.
Of course there were many more and I don't need to quote them. But it is proof to me that the DNA thing is on the right track.
I am happy that Maori are different to me and that they have an interesting culture. I wouldn't like to live with the Maasai, but my experience of their culture is a treasured memory.
Of course we are all different; I expect the English to different to me, and the Americans, but rather than denigrate each other; wouldn't it be worthwhile to celebrate each other's differences?

No comments: