Friday, May 22, 2009

Another Bibi

Here is another Bibi - Mama Joyce. She is an example of the tough life some of the rural Tanzania people have.
Mama Joyce is from the Arusha tribe and her husband from the Chugga. That does not necessarily present problems, but I think it did for Mama Joyce.
Her husband had had another wife who lived at Moshi - occasionally he went there to be with her and I guess he took some of their financial resources with him. I never knew what problems this made for her.

I had (& have) a great respect for Mama Joyce and she has been a very hard worker and her husband was a severe man. Few liked him, but he was tough (as in hardy) and I had no problem with him.
I used to give him a lift into town and once I transported his rice harvest from his Usa River farm.
One night at about 9:30pm, I was pulled out of bed by a tearful woman at the gate. It was Joyce, but I did not recognize her because she wore a kanga over her head. She was pleading me to take her father to hospital. I refused because there were bandits about at the time and it was just plain dangerous to take the risk. But then she took her kanga off and I recognised her and agreed to take him.

The old guy came down and was in considerable pain. He told me that he could not urinate and that he had not passed a drop since 2:30 that afternoon. (I had picked him from town then).
We of course I knew this was prostate problems for him and told him so. He was in absolute agony! We stopped a Kilala and Joyce ran in to tell someone of what was happening and tried to get that person to accompany us - he refused saying it was too dangerous. I too was anxious because a vehicle stopped is a much easier target for majambazi.

We took the guy to Tengeru Hospital and I waited for Joyce to come back to tell me he was ok. She did and she stayed with him. Actually he wasn't ok, he was not attended to until the next day at 10:30 am! Had I known, I would have paid to have him looked at sooner!
I went home on my own and was happy to reach there!
The old had an operation later at KCMC hospital and made a full recovery - he died just last year.

Mama Joyce had a relative (more like of the old guy's) who (we suspected) was HIV positive and she nursed her for 14 months - they raised funds (250 000/-) for drugs and apparently she has made a recovery.

Joyce had Neema who I have written a little about (the Herpes story). Neema's father never lived with Joyce but he provided some assistance. Unfortunately he happened too close to a knife and that was the end of him!
So Joyce teamed with another guy who fathered another child and Joyce moved in with him. However he refused to have Neema in the house - so Mama Joyce must care for her.
Neema is a handful and hard work for the old Bibi. She is too young to be really helpful.
It is a long, steep walk for water and the old woman has to carry the daily needs from the river. Firewood too must be collected. Children traditionally do these tasks for their mother, but when the kids move out the old people are often left to carry out the tasks for themselves. A bit sad really.

I took the photo recently and had a good talk to her. Later I gave Upendo 10 000/- to take to her. It was little but the woman has no income now and lives on whatever she can scrape together. There is a son and Joyce does help out sometimes but this is an example of the difficulties faced by some. Pole Mama Joyce!

No comments: