Friday, September 18, 2009

Indian Visitor

One Saturday morning, a young Indian guy called at our Sanawari house with a problem.
He was taking his brother to hospital and had run out of petrol!
I felt sorry for the young guy, but as usual, before handing any money over - it always pays to check.
'Where is your car?' I asked.
'Down on the main road.' he replied.
'So you walked for fifteen minutes up here to find me?' the question was rhetorical. But he answered that he had.
Now his car would be fifteen minutes away from the hospital and how did he know that I was even there? I strongly suspected a scam!
I made a show of feeling in my pockets (I seldom had cash in my pockets at home). 'Don't you know it is foolish to carry money or have it in your house? Sorry I have no money here.'
The man left with no ill feeling.

Few days later, Missy told us of an Indian guy who had called on them asking for money. The description matched and the story was the same. This time one of her friends had given him something - not much, more a token.

No comments: