Saturday, May 15, 2010

Anna

Mbise came from a large family and because he had a paying job with us, it was his responsibility to help them whenever he could. We came to know and love his family as time went on.

Mbise had told us that his younger sister, Anna was due to have her baby and that she had not been able to have a wedding.
One Saturday morning, Mbise told me that Anna was in hospital and that the baby had died. He asked me if I would help him by going into Mt. Meru Hospital to collect her. I wondered why she was in Mt Meru Hospital rather than the local one, Nkoaranga and found out later the protocol was the first should be at the large hospital and the remainder in local hospitals - but [I think] number four has to be at Mt. Meru. Purely for safety.

Our new friend Mama Upendo came to support Anna which is normal because two guys don't get involved with this sort of women's business.
I parked in the hospital grounds while Mbise and Mama Upendo went in to collect Anna. Mbise came out shortly after with a cardboard box with the dead baby inside. He told me that they had to wait for the doctor to make his rounds and sign the release for Anna.
He put the box in the back of the Toyota and I was pleased that it had the protection of the fiberglass canopy.
I was conscious of the hot sun and what it might do to the small body, so I parked with the canopy in the shade of a tree, but time went by and I had to move as the sun tripped across the sky.
Mama Upendo came out to tell me that the doctor had given clearance but payment was needed for the bed and other items. I had expected such an eventuality so handed over the amount required and soon the three emerged from hospital. It goes without saying that Anna was exhausted and upset but she did not forget to give me the 'shikamoo' greeting.

We were met by the father of the baby at our Makumira house - he was waiting for us. under the mango tree on the corner. It was then that I was asked to take them 'home'. I had not considered this, thinking to get them to our house, but they had no other option. So Mama Upendo and I went in to Mags and had a quick cup of tea and refreshed after a long morning.

As the crow flies, it is not too far up to Mbise's parents' place, but it is steep and slow traveling, but we were not going to to his place, but to the father of the baby's - well his parents'.
We were greeted warmly and offered a cup of tea and without us knowing, the box and baby were buried in the garden without ceremony. I would have thought there would be at least an Evangelist, but no.
I could see Anna crying and some there was some animated discussion and when I moved to leave, Mbise asked me politely to stay. I had no idea what was going on, nor Mama Upendo because they were talking in Kimeru - but thinking about it later, she probably did.
After my umpteenth cup of tea Mbise came to me to say that Anna did not want to stay with these people, but wanted to go home. The family of the father of the baby were demanding she stay with them! He asked for my advice.
What did I know about such things?
I said it was no use leaving Anna if she was upset so soon after childbirth. After having he baby die she would be feeling vulnerable and exhausted so it is best that she be comfortable and that means doing what she wants. I advised him to ask her again to be sure.
Mbise returned to say she was sure, but the guys family were really against her return to her family.
I asked Mbise if he thought they would become violent and he thought they would.
The car was parked the wrong way for a getaway, so I casually turned it around and parked it in the shade of a tree (I explained this to Mbise first). Anna was to 'feel uncomfortable with a sore back and hot, so she should go and sit in the vehicle with Mama Upendo comforting her.
Once they were in the vehicle Mbise and I 'casually' talked for a while forcing yet more sweet, milky tea into our bladders. Then when I saw the chance as nonchalantly as possible we moved towards the vehicle and on my nod we quickly hopped aboard and I fired up engine and took off in a cloud of dust with fists shaking and guys chasing us.

Mbise's mother was full of concern for her daughter, but her father was angry that she had returned and that he again had to support her - in his eyes, she was not welcome!
Wise Mama Upendo knew the guy and whispered to me to give him some money for nyama choma and pombe - grilled meat and booze (he like the strong piwa). I gave him the money and he was truly happy. I have no doubt he knew very well he could not refuse her re-entry into the family fold.

As far as I know, Anna had nothing more to do with the father of the baby.


No comments: