Monday, June 21, 2010

Pre Zanzibar

Before we could head off to Zanzibar there we a couple of 'initial visits' to make and to get the tree nursery ticking along.
Mbise our night guard was to work in the nursery as well as guard the place at night, but one day he contracted malaria and thought he could carry on working. We all know malaria isn't like that and his condition worsened so I sent him home. I was not too concerned about the fact that we never had a night for four nights but as the electricity was off during that time I went out every time I woke during the night and flashed my torch about. A waste of time really because everyone and his dog new that Mbise was crook.

The other staff were learning what was required of them - Amani from across the river, Veronica from further up the hill, and Upendo aka Helen also from across the river. I began the practice of writing a list of the work to be done [in my best Kiswahili] and they would check each task off and make a good job of it. I fail to understand those who say Africans are unreliable and unable to follow directions. Throughout the five years I employed staff at Makumira, they carried out their tasks exactly as I required and I could leave them unsupervised for weeks on end. There is a culture of greeting people and requiring time away for funerals, but that is the culture and outsiders need only to respect that.

We paid a visit to Malula, the church there, the Mtendaje and the village chairman. All were young men committed to server their community. The big issue was water and that had to be bought in at a cost of 250/- per 20 litre bucket. None of the water schemes were working and the small well gave very little.
There was a willingness to plant trees.

There were the continued visits to villages with Missy and Joshia. it was refreshing to hear about the successes of our plantings and how our visits in small ways motivated some folk.

The General Secretary had a farm at Mareu and he wanted to plant there - though I thought the area not to be a priority, it was up to DME to prioritize and make recommendations, so we met the village and church leaders there. We told them to spread the news that we intended to frequent the village and would respond to the environmental needs.

There was a new orphanage built just above Nkoaranga Hospital, funded through the Lutheran Church - American I think. We took the vol nurse with us because she had no vehicle.
First was the inspection and we found it to be an excellent facility.
It was a colourful ceremony with many guests, speeches and singing by two choirs.
There was the usual huge African meal and the keki goat.
While there was still a hubbub I went across to the primary school to introduce myself and planned for a future visit.
This orphanage was to play a part in a story that will come later.

We were fortunate during this time to recieve a Toyota Double Cab and it had a canopy on the back. It was an ideal vehicle for us as the suspension was pumped up an extra two inches. Diesel and cheap to run.

I was ready for a breather, and what better place to have that - Zanzibar!

No comments: