Saturday, August 21, 2010

Just busy enought

By October 1997 we had become familiar with Makumira and had set up the nursery as a going concern but there were some things that kept me busy - more or less outside my project.

The first was water and I will write about that next but water is rain and rain caused me problems in my work during October, especially with access to villages. The rain helped keep the tree seedlings moist but also made working conditions difficult in the nursery. But household water was a problem and we needed that fixed.

Electricity was a problem. There had been a shortage of water where the hydro-dams were and we recieved electricity from midnight to about 6:00am - sometimes 4:30. We were not perturbed about the lack of electricity as we had a gas cooker and a Tilly lamp - though we did not light it much preferring the hurricane type lamp and candles. In those days I had a word-processor and I needed electricity to write reports, letters home and project proposals, so that meant waking at midnight and getting back to bed just before sunrise when I had to be prepared for the next days work.

Mbise did not like the power cuts as he thought it compromised security. I had my doubts about that but he went through extra torch batteries - and needed extra coffee! But I liked the dark and would sit and talk to Mbise about the stars and the moon as well as 'life at Makumira'.



I had written a proposal to provide a motorbike for Loti as a project vehicle [Mo had encouraged me to do so] and it was approved. Mags went to Dar es Salaam with Jo to pick it up - Jo had other work to do there.
Well Loti was like a cat with two tails when he saw his brand new motor bike! He took it down to the local church and had it blessed.
When we returned his old ex Makumira Farm one to DME Mr Kaaya was a bit stern and said that although we had raised the funds for the new bike, the Bishop may allocate it elsewhere. Loti was not too pleased about this outcome but my persuasive nature prevailed.
The new farm manager turned out to be a crook and sold the sold bike the old bike - but that's another story.

Because we had extended our contract with The Agency, we were entitled to a trip home and we were excited about that. This meant that we needed to visit the craft centers in Arusha and Ngaremtoni to buy gifts. Also we bought T-shirts with Tanzanian motifs. Folk back home had been kind to us and we wanted to acknowledge their generosity in some way. Of course when you are 'in the market' for souvenirs, the touts smell your money and try to do deals. By now we knew who to deal with and who not.

We were slowly becoming friends with Mama Upendo and her family. She was friendly with Mbise because she was the only person to help him when he was sick with malaria, so he in return helped her and a friendship grew.
Mama Upendo always called me 'Mzee' - a respectful name for an older man - well that was to my face, most had trouble with my name and I was simply referred to as 'Mzungu' - white man.
Mama Upendo wanted to buy a milking cow - to keep under the zero grazing management. She knew of the cow which was Tsh150 000/- and she said that she had a shortfall of Tsh50 000/-. She hoped I would loan/donate Tsh100 000/-. I told her that I would think about it, and it slipped my mind until she reminded me a couple of days later.
I was always caution not show any sign of wealth - even to friends and I suspected that buying the cow just might be the thin end of the wedge. I suggested that I would go to the bank and and loan her Tsh50 000 and she told me that she would 'look' for the rest.
After I had paid her, she said that she had failed to find the rest and needed another 50 000/- and again I told her I must think about it. I withdrew the 50 000 and gave it to her when she called next and I recieved her thanks. Still it was not enough - she did not have her 50 000, only 25 000! I suggested that she get the seller to reduce his price.
Well it turned out that I paid a total of Tsh125 000/- and it was gift rather than a loan and I helped her family out by buying milk from her!
Now that sounds like I was diddled - I guess I was, but we had found a friend at Makumira and the family became part of us. The story here is a long one and some of it written up, but this coming Saturday - 28th August 2010 Upendo, the eldest daughter of Mama Upendo (for whom I an a father figure) gets married. I can't be there but will be in spirit - great isn't it? But I must brush up on my Kiswahili because I have to write a speech.

No comments: