Saturday, February 27, 2010

Mti Mmoja tena


Those tanks at Mti Mmoja still haunt me! I have seen a comment made by nkonina on my original post. I am very glad someone from Mti Mmoja has read it. I don't know him, but he is my friend. I did not find a contact for him so through here - Salaam bwana, je labda wako watu wanatukumbuka - Misitu ni uhai - Mti Mmoja juu!
It is very difficult to find funds for projects these days - and I am still looking. Maybe someone will read this and start something - maybe.

Mti Mmoja was another school were we were able to bring the Primary School Assistance Project.
We had carried out our environmental project the success of which was tempered by the lack of water. This is why we did not supply very many trees to the school - we did not want to burden the kids with the extra task of finding water.
The school building was reasonably new, but there was a lack of resources so through the project were were able to supply desks, teachers tables and chairs, text books and cupboards to store them in.
I do not remember the name of the woman who was Headteacher (I see her still wearing her green woolen sweater) but I found her grateful on behalf of the students. I hope her students remember her with gratitude.
The area is proudly Maasai and I remember one teacher complaining that the students , especially boys, tended to be 'stubborn' and refused to learn. This seems to be one of those things that will occur. That person, I could tell, will not have been Maasai because I understood, each tribe has a certain opinion of another tribe. But I do think it is good that teachers serve outside their tribal areas because that's where understanding begins.

The special place I have in my heart for Mti Mmoja though is because I visited there with the General Secretary of DME and he saw me give a mixture of chili water to the school to help trees survive against termite attack. He saw the work we were doing there and asked if I would help his organization for a year. Well it ended up being five!
Mti Mmoja juu!


No comments: