Friday, February 19, 2010

Ngarash Primary School, Monduli

Ngarash Primary School is situated just a little outside what I would call the Monduli town boundary. The school was obviously under resourced and had a growing roll.

We visited the school early in our assignment so we had not yet formalised just how we would go about our environmental programme. Simply we called on the school and Joshia offered trees for the school to plant. The Headteacher thought there was indeed a need for trees around the school, so he agreed to plant and care for any trees we might bring to the school.

By the time of our next visit, we were more prepared with our 'system' in place, but because I was not yet confident with my Kiswahili, Joshia took most of the seminar and read 'Ndoto ya Grace'. As usual, we were not able to address just the senior part of the school, all of the kids wanted to participate. He instructed the kids to prepare planting holes and we would bring trees in four weeks time.
On the appointed day we took the Maruti loaded with trees to the school - a selection of mixed species and spent the day planting them with the students.

As the Primary Schools Assistance Project was now in gear, we arranged to meet the Monduli Village Executive Officer (Mtendaje) so the village government/leaders were in the picture as to what we were proposing to do.
The school head teacher had heard we were coming and was waiting for us - expecting a handful of money. He particularly wanted a new office built for himself.
Here we were again; I found using the Assistance Project to be a good lever for the Environment Project and it proved so again.

We were to supply 100 school desks, 5 teachers tables & chairs, 2 cupboards to house the text books - enough for the senior part of the school and some junior books as well, teachers (instruction) copies, slates and chalk for new entrants, and blackboard paint.

I had on board some 174 Guava trees to be planted out because of a request from the deputy headteacher to provide vitamin C for the whole village population.
Our followup revealed that the trees were not thriving too well because of the fierce sun and lack of water. We certainly understood about the lack of water but called the school together and allocated one tree to each pupil to care for. We announced there would be a competition for the best tree shelter - to provide shade as well as protection from livestock. I would give a prize for the best shelter and later another for the best tree.

On our next visit (Sept 10) all the Assistance Project Material had arrived and was stored - the teachers and students were happy and grateful.
I could see that work was going on in the Guava orchard, but this day we were inspecting the plantings behind the school. There were, as expected, varying results but overall I was pleased. I had bought some pencils and exercise books for the best three trees. There were as always some kids who's trees were dead so they put a green twig in the planting hole to fool me - it didn't, but I was well aware that not all trees handed out were equal and failure could not always be put down to poor care. However the best ten trees could not be separated so Joshia called what he thought was fair to represent the best five and we gave them a pencil and exercise book each.
'This is not enough!' I muttered to Joshia, and he, in agreement said the next lot of prizewinners could 'feel the hand of an mzungu' - white man. That is, shake my hand. But I remembered I had bought some avocados at the market, so distributed those until we ran out. But the kids did in fact enjoy shaking my hand.

A week later I was astounded when we returned to find 174 tree shelters covering the Guava trees - all immaculate and well built, each with the name of the student; remembering there were few materials and no money for resources. I had no idea how we were going to choose the best - I had brought prizes for ten this time - bits I had gathered up while at the market - enamel mugs, combs, toothbrushes.
We made our choice after much deliberation (making a show of it for them to see) and presented the prizes.

After our project was completed and we moved to Makumira and the Lutheran Diocese, but I went back to Monduli to deliver Upendo to secondary school, so I took the opportunity to return to Ngarash.
The woman who had been the deputy Headteacher was now Headteacher and she immediately recognised me and slow hand-clapped chanting 'Babu, Babu, Babu!' (Grandfather) - until the whole school had come outside to join her in her chant. I more than was a little overwhelmed at this and even though my Kiswahili was good now - I was lost for words.

Some of the Guava trees had been removed to make way for the expansion of the school - a new classroom, but the kids were eating the fruit, I saw some of them! Now that's a good outcome!

No comments: