Monday, November 8, 2010

How the Kiwi lost it's wings

To provide interest and perhaps stimulate the school kids, I adapted a story I remembered and told it during the seminars. Now I have no idea of the origin of the story or if in fact it is a Maori myth, but it worked exactly for what I was trying to achieve, so I have to tell this with apologies to the originator/s.

Sometimes in the NZ culture we use the term 'mother nature', whereas in Tanzania, and I guess, other in cultures the Creator is 'God'.

Story telling can be a game and Tanzania kids are easy to coax into joining the game.

I this start the session with an explanation: The Kiwi is an indigenous bird of New Zealand. It has a very long beak and it can not fly - instead it has strong legs so it can run fast. The Kiwi sleeps during the day and feeds during the night.

Hadithi, hadithi. I tried to say this just above a whisper, for it is a traditional call to the story, like 'a story, a story'. Usually the kids do not expect me to know about this and remain silent, or perhaps a few will quietly respond. So I call out loudly, 'Hadithi, Hadithi!'
They know and respond, 'Hadithi, hadithi, hadithi njoo, uongo njoo, utamu tulia!' A story, a story, a story come here, a lie, come here, it is delightful, be quiet.
Sometimes I would pretend I did not here them and they would shout it out again from their lungs.

Everyone knows that God made Heaven and Earth, the sea, the land ,the mountains, the lakes, the grassland and the forests. But not many people know that He made New Zealand last, because He wanted it to be a very special country and unique. He did not make mammals there, just birds like Tui, Korimako, Piwakawaka, Kaka, Kokako. The birds lived in God's forest and they all loved to fly in the treetops eating fruits and drinking nectar from the flowers. They loved the sun and to sing beautifully all day long.

God was happy with His work and often looked down at New Zealand and smiled. But one day he noticed that the forest was starting to die and looked closer.
[At this point I would talk in a whisper, so the kids had to listen more intently - the next word I shouted; it is the sound of exclamation, and I would jump in the air]
'Jamani! Insects and grubs are eating my forest and my trees will die!' God cried out.
He called a meeting with all the birds to see what could be done and He asked all the birds, one by one if they would go down to the forest floor to eat the insects and save the forest. In turn each bird refused with an excuse, 'I like to sing all day long!' or 'I can only eat fruits and drink nectar!' or 'I am afraid in the dark forest!'
Finally it was the turn of Kiwi to be asked if he would descent to the forest floor and eat the insects and grubs.
'Of course I will.' replied Kiwi sadly.
This meant that God would need to change Kiwi to suit his new environment. He took away his wi
ngs, because there is no need to fly on the forest floor. Kiwi was given short strong legs so he could run fast to catch the insects and grubs. He was given a long beak with nostrils at the tip so he could seek out his prey. And he was given keen eyes to see in the dark!

When the forest was healthy again, Kiwi called to God to ask if he could return to the tree tops and God again called a meeting of the birds.
'Kiwi, you must remain o
n the forest floor to guard the forest, the insects and grubs will return. You other birds, Tui, Korimako, Piwakawaka, Kaka, Kokako; I must punish you because you were not prepared to help me. I will no longer provide fruit and nectar for the whole year long, there will be times when you too will need to feed on insects and grubs. You all like to sing all day long, but from this day you will only sing your loudest at sunrise and sunset.
Kiwi, because yo
u have done my work and protected the forest my gift to you is that you will be remembered for ever!'

And this is why today the birds sing their loudest at dawn and again at sunset. even here in Tanzania!
The New
Zealand people are proud to be called 'Kiwi' throughout the word and our famous sports teams are often referred to as 'Kiwi'! And yes even here in Tanzania, even very small children know Kiwi, for 'Kiwi' it is the name of your shoe polish! Everyone knows Kiwi!




So why don't you become like Kiwi and protect your forests, plant some trees for the environment!

My story is finished.
With that, I would say the first syllable of 'finished' and the kids would complete the word (and often applaud).









Tui







Korimako













Piwakawaka













Kaka











Kokako




No comments: