Monday, May 9, 2011

Kwatulele Primary

The King'ori Jimbo office is just downhill from the actual township of King'ori [though this part of the road is actually flat]. It is unfortunate that I have no photo of this market area cum shopping center, but we always thought it was like a wild west town.
The road bends and on that bend is a road that goes right down to the main road at Kolila. Someways down the road is Ntuwe where we carried out a food programme - on an early post. I will return there.

There is a track past the village office, easily missed, that goes to the Kwatulele Primary School. We had not been working with the school, but DME had selected it as one of the schools to receive assistance funded by NZHC. Because some of the schools we had been working with faced trouble from the provider of their assistance, I decided that we should pay a visit to Kwatulele.
The provider DME had allocated the work to was the Vocational School and so the school's principal was responsible for the work and disbursement of the funds. I will call him Tom Mpilipili.

After introductions at the school, we found that the headteacher was not concerned about aspects of Tom Mpilipili's work, but his deputy complained and we saw that framing erected to support the ceiling board was second hand and full of insects! There were other faults but that was the main worry.
As it happened, as we drove down the road, we met Mpilipili driving up - he did not react when I motioned him to stop, so I turned the vehicle and chased after him. I told him I was not happy to see second hand materials going into a building that should have new. His body language did not show the conciliatory words he used, but he said that if I required new materials, then they would be provided. Tom Mpilipili was not happy with me.
The upshot of this was that I pointed out the misdeeds of Tom Mpilipili and they acted appropriately and all the work was carried out - Tom Mpilipili caused me to watch my back.

I thought I noticed some politics going on at the school and that was possibly due to the cooperation between the Head Teacher and Tom Mpilipili to the exclusion of the other teachers. All I know is that the teachers wanted to participate in the environmental programme and we carried it out successfully with the pupils keen to plant and care for trees. But in reality we did give as much time to Kwatulele as I found the school by (almost accident). Having said that, they were great kids and teachers to work with.
The difficulty there was the abundant rock cover making planting difficult.










Tree deliveries to the school. It was difficult to access the school with the vehicle.










The senior girls perform a song of thanks for the environmental programme.









A traditional dance is performed by a group of senior pupils during the celebration for the success of the environmental programme.

No comments: