Monday, May 16, 2011

Leguruki Secondary School

Stepping across the road from the Leguruki Clinic, and down a short, steep driveway is the Leguruki Secondary School. For I long time I was unaware of its existence, but was asked to call there by the Headmaster. We knew him from Ngarenanyuki Secondary School where he was Headmaster when we first visited there and he was the brother of James Somi, the present Headmaster there. Oh we used to call James Somi 'Bwana Tie' because we often met him as he was a teacher at Makumira (the one on duty when I took the drunk guy to hospital). We simply knew him as Somi and we liked him. His older brother had a different nature - not a definitive but his pupils liked him.

The school was fairly new and the grounds were still being laid out. Our presence there was unremarkable - except for my faux pas made during our seminar involving the students. I was explaining how to irrigate trees by half burying a bottle with a hole in it to direct water to the root system of the tree. The work for bottle is chupa, but I said another word by mistake, not an error in Kiswahili - the word I used was chupi a word I knew meaning underpants. The kids were in hysterics as you can imagine.

I don't have any pictures of events here, but we supplied trees for planting around the area and they were well cared for.

No comments: