Thursday, December 8, 2011

Life in Africa III

As I have no broadband, it takes a long time to upload pictures, which is the reason I don't do a lot at a time. But most are of things outside my projects and I hope it might stimulate people go go and look for themselves.

I was lucky enough to given a fee pass to Tarangire National Park and for the people travelling with but our first visit there was with Big E who negotiated his way in there. We were looking for a water source for a water project to Mswakini Primary School.
This photo taken from the Tarangire Safari Lodge shows typical savannah. I remember my old geography teacher telling me that savannah is grassland with trees scattered so you can ride a horse.

I do not possess a telephoto lens, and my camera could be classed a a 'cheapie' but I did take some photos I was happy with. When you first visit a national park, you take your first photos, but later there are always better opportunities.

The Twiga is the national animal of Tanzania and well chosen. Graceful animals. I once watch some drinking, very cautious of lions and splaying their front legs so they could reach down more easily.

There are ostrich farms in Tanzania and it is possible to buy ostrich stakes, which very tasty. In the wild they seem to be very cautious so it is difficult to get close to them - and they can run! Never saw one with it's head in the sand though!

Mama Baraka did not like the concept of Big E using project money for his bar, so to 'keep her quiet' he allowed, and funded a chicken project for her. He built the coop for her and arranged the chickens from Mama Kuku who had the big farm at Moshi.
The first crop of chicken is reasonably easy, but by the time we were there, disease had started to creep in. Big E had pretty much run out of money, so we helped Mama Baraka with the vet fees and dawa - drugs. We ended up helping fund feed and then marketing. It was only a profit for her because she wasn't paying the costs.
Note the tie-up between KFC and KF Ostrich?
You will see elsewhere that we highly regarded Mama Baraka!

Stonetown, Zanzibar should be on everyone's bucket list! It must be remembered that the island is 90% Muslim and by going there you accept their culture. I have seen tourist men and women wearing skimpy clothing that is an affront to the locals. Otherwise tourists are very well accepted. I have written about Zanzibar previously - it is one of my favorite places.

We always stayed at The Haven guest house and could not have chosen a better place to stay. We have recommended to many people and have not heard a bad word. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The breakfast was a treat for us as well.

The romantic in me means that I expect to see Sindbad at every turn, and I am very much attracted to the dhows and the fish market. The port was a bustling place and full of interest.

As you would expect in a Muslim area, there are Mosques to server the local populations [and no doubt, visitors] and it certainly adds to the colour of the place when the call to prayer is sounded. In modern Zanzibar, the call to prayer is by loudspeaker, but I did spot this minaret but I have no idea if anyone calls out from there.

The Maruhubi Sultan's Palace [ruins]shows what life was like in the past - I'm not going to tell you about that, but encourage you to go and have a look yourself.

Suleman took us for a spice tour in a rickety old car - you could see the road through the floorboards! He was good though and now his tours are more up-market. He makes it an adventure. A very nice man, but a lookalike for a Sindbad baddie!

Times have changed so suspect you are not allowed to get so close to the rare Colobus Monkey. We were lucky to sit within a group and I was able to touch the tail of one. Actually in the hope there was a loose hair that I could take with me. It didn't happen.


No comments: