Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Maroroni Primary School


Sometimes we were able to see Mt. Kilimanjaro and this photo was taken near Maroroni, but it is the only photo I have with any reference to Maroroni and I do not know why. I rarely took photos myself because I was doing my work and did not want the extra responsibility to take photos because it spoils the moment.

Maroroni is closer to Kikatiti which is a large market town and it is where condition are more conducive to growing crops. There is a large common grazing area cum football ground and the school is set just elevated slightly. Tending to be drier just around the school it had that look of glaring yellow soils and it was stony.

There was a line of teachers' accommodation set a little apart, these were one room affairs.
The doors of the classrooms faced to the north so they were in shade most of the time.

Our seminars there were successful as were the planting, but they were hampered a little because of the difficulty of digging the holes. Water was also an issue though there was a large concrete tank reservoir closeby. Mostly water came on a timed basis.
We did not supply food aid to this school because it was a lower priority than the other schools, although there certainly was hunger there at the time.
Generally everything went well with Maroroni Primary School and the kids were great as were the teachers although I guess, unremarkable.

However one issue cropped up: A friend of ours was posted to Maroroni from Makumira. This was a posting that looked underhand to me and I well knew the situation.
I have said elsewhere that the local Mratibu, education coordinator, has power to make recommendations to to the district office making the system corrupt. Space was needed at Makumira for an incoming teacher, and our friend became a victim envy, so she was posted the school that would cause the most disruption.
I decided to take our friend to Maroroni the meet with the head teacher and after explaining to him that our friend had three children, he agreed that the posting was not appropriate and wrote a letter. She was posted to a closer school.
I have written about this more fully in book form and may yet post it.

This demonstrates the difficulties that can occur.

No comments: